Thursday, August 11, 2011

my malian people

it's occurs to me that I haven't properly introduced you to the people who have fed me, housed me, and taken me in as family this summer. these lovely people are my malian family. Badji, in the blue, is my host mom and she is wonderful. she is just like my American mom...makes sure i eat all my dinner and call home regularly! 

the gang! 

the boys. Levi in the white is the oldest son and we would often have very insightful conversations about Mali, America, education, and being an adult. he wants to be a lawyer or an English professor. 

this is all of BCamp and their families who came to our thank you dinner hosted by Peace Corps. We think we are a pretty good looking group. 

this is me and my togoma, or namesake, Lalla

ok, so i kinda think this is a horrible picture of me, but it was the only one with the three of us. Lalla had been in Bamako my last week at BCamp so she wasn't able to be in the family photos. the two Lallas and Baj.

I don't think any of us at BCamp imagined forming the relationships we did with our host families. They are truly wonderful people. Both for just who they are and how they opened up their lives to us, we will be eternally grateful. These families are an example of what the human heart is capable of, and how generous people really can be, something every culture can learn from. I know that I will never be able to repay them, but the least i can do is try to pay it forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment