Sunday, May 12, 2013

mother's day

oh yes, now my mother is going to kill me, but this is her in the hospital with me! (i think she looks great)

Few things I know for sure, but one thing I have no doubt about is that motherhood is not for the faint of heart. It will break you, it will throw everything in this world upside down, and it will send you on an emotional roller coaster that never really ends.

Mothers are fierce and forces of nature.

They never waiver. They never give up.

It’s a strength no one really has and no one else can really understand. But it radiates in her every move. In each start to every day there is a renewed hope for a better world, for a better place to send her children into, and there is pure faith that in the end, those children of hers will not only survive this world but make it better because that is what she strives for too.

I am one of the lucky ones. From the beginning all my mom wanted to do was to be a mom. And while she stopped what I’m sure would have been a successful nursing career in order to live the life she has now, I have never once questioned her undying love for her three highly dysfunctional children. I exist, as I am right now, purely because of her.  She is the voice inside my head; she is the phone call I always want to make; it’s her advice that matters the most. She is the center of my universe.

Mothers are mighty and full of grace. There is nothing simple about witnessing the life of others and being so fully invested in them. The shift between being parents of children and then adults must be interesting. As I grow into the age my mom was when I was born (something that continues to boggle my mind) I cannot wait to see the development of my relationship with my mom.

So here’s the moms out there, the believers, the dreamers, the sleep deprived, the hopeful. Cheers to all you stand for and all you do.

Happy Mother’s Day.

me and mamma! welcome to 1988 :)


No comments:

Post a Comment