Wednesday, October 19, 2011

words i'm trying to say

the side of the road in Bamako. Really. on one side there is an ice cream shop and grocery store, and the other has goats and chickens. ahhh mali...
+++

Hello there. Sorry it’s been a while since the last post. I’ve been thinking about it, and writing it multiple times (I’m currently on draft 3) but I just can’t get the words right. So for the moment I’m going to table that topic, and fill you in on a what’s been going on.

It’s been another busy week here, full of classes and tutoring, long (and HOT) walks to and from school, and of course, never enough sleep. My art classes are getting into full swing. I have 8th graders starting on self-portraits next week assuming we get our materials this time. In 9th grade we are wrapping up hand drawings, and my young ones, the 7th graders, are presenting their constellation drawings today (and next week we are making Greek vases!). So time is moving right along.

It’s funny teaching art. I mean, it’s an elective everywhere, but here it is a total transformation. Students here aren’t encouraged to think “outside the box” or to use their imagination, to pretend, or to play. Sure, they play soccer, and run around with their friends, and are observant about the world they live in. They have hopes and dreams, think of faraway places and what life is like elsewhere. But sit them down and have them express their thoughts, well that my friends, is a whole different story.

So, in essence, I’m trying to get 60 tweens and teenagers to channel their inner creativity and express it. In one hour. Once a week. And do it in English. Their 3rd language.

Yeah. About that.

But like I said. It’s progressing. The kids are getting interested, and there are some VERY good artists in my 9th grade class. They tend to think I’m a little nuts, and there is no concept of taking your time and that this is not a race or a test. Slowly, there will be progress, slowly they will understand, and slowly I may get them to take their time.

Outside of art, I keep the time going by sitting in on every English class for 7-9th grade, so I see my kids often. I usually just sit in the back and take notes so that when the kids come to me after school or on the weekend with homework, I know exactly what is going on and have it written down. Sometimes in the 7th grade I do more teaching. I got to teach the alphabet last Friday, which was a total riot. I was getting the kids to pronounce “r” correctly by making the pirate noise (ARRGH!) and accompanying hand gesture, which got them to erupt into giggles and yet mimic the whole think perfectly (they didn’t know it was a pirate thing, so I’m pretty sure that put me in “crazy white person” category yet again). That was like the highlight of my month. (The 7th graders are weaseling their way into teacher’s favorite even though I know I’m not supposed to have any…)

My weekends are full of more kids. Saturday I was woken up by ten 8th graders who came to my house to watch a movie they had seen in class and wanted to re-watch. It wasn’t yet 9am and yet there they are were. So we watched the movie, and then Beauty and the Beast, just for fun. Usually, one day a weekend I get out. Sunday I went to Bamako with my American neighbors who are here to work with IEP (the office of the school, kinda). It is nice to get away for even an afternoon, have lunch, and talk in English with people who know where I’m coming from (and on this trip I ran into another Goodfella randomly on the street who was in Bamako for a dentist appointment, small world!).

Then the weeks, so quickly, move into another one.

I’m still waiting on the weather to break. It’s still ever so hot here. But I have started running again, which is a total production. I get laughed at every time I leave the house (I’m still deciding whether to run today or take the day off, if I take the day off I’m sure my not running will be the topic of conversation) and the people I run by literally stop and stare at me go by (which could be a minute because I’m not running far or quickly right now).  Basically, it’s toubab on parade. But, oh well. The really funny part is everyone has heard about me running, it’s spreading like wildfire. And then they get concerned that I’ll loose weight (IF ONLY) and are now out to feed me. LOL.

It’s Wednesday and my last art class is this afternoon. I like that I have three art classes right in the row; it creates almost a long weekend. Even though I got to school Thursday and Friday I can relax a bit and breathe from not having to teach or worry about the office getting my materials on time (though I’m still waiting on Mondays materials which may end up driving me crazy!).  This weekend I have to run into Bamako super early to try to go to the bank on Saturday before it closes at 11am that is if it is open at all. Then, some of the girls I have in class are interested in some English lessons, and so that may begin this weekend in the afternoon. I think they just want to work on their English homework, watch English movies, and hang, but maybe it really will turn into more of a lesson…we shall see and I will keep you posted.

Everyday is new. Everything is still different, but a life is forming.

Someone asked me the other day if I was happy. I laughed. At that moment they were the third person to ask me that in 24 hours. I answered as honestly as I could:
I’m afraid I’m one of those people who rarely realizes how happy they are in the moment, something I’m trying to change. And it’s a little difficult here because I feel like I’m missing so much back in the States my vision of Mali is slightly tainted or clouded because I have one foot at home. I think in the future I’ll laugh at this period saying I should have realized how good it all was. But right now, at this moment, I’m content. I know this is where I should be, I don’t know what I would do in the States after I showered for hours, slept, snuggled up to the latest TV with my Mom, and ate cheese—no matter how good that sounds. Right now I am here. And most of the time, I am really okay with that. For me, that’s a pretty good step. (Pause.) That was a longer answer that you expected wasn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment