Wednesday, January 19, 2011

baggage


as the pictures have said and if you've been following my posts at all, i was in boston this past weekend. four days away. away from my closet that is. hello, my name is mary and i am a horrible overpacker. i pack way too much all the time. on the plus side, i always have the right thing that someone else forgot, on the down side my suitcase is always very heavy. 

this past trip i did pack too much..again. and it was ridiculous! savoy packed so light and did it so well. from the picture above you can see my huge duffle next to me. and the big purse (which ended up breaking by the end of the weekend...a sure tell sign i carry too much around with me on a daily basis). 

this picture, me and my baggage (and the wonderful mfa, boston) got me thinking about baggage in all sense of the word. i carry around a lot of mental and emotional baggage. (i mean at least i'll admit it.) and just like my clothing, some of this stuff i need to let go. 

when the girls and i are together we try to make new year goals (not resolutions, those never work). one of my goals was to let go and by letting go find some peace and gratitude for the present. it occurs to me that by holding on to all the extras and clinging to the past, there isn't much room for the present. 

so this is my new challenge. i'm going to let go. of feelings, of people, of what ifs, of regrets. i'm going to (try) and let them go. 

because in the end, i'm going to need some space for the greatness for today and tomorrow. 

and vacation shopping. 

(p.s. the picture is taken by my dear friend savoy in front of the museum of fine arts, boston)

No comments:

Post a Comment