Wednesday, September 28, 2011

1,2,3,4,5

me and the pacific

So, as noted in the ramblings of prior blog postings, it's been a rocky couple of weeks. On top of the fact that I'm in Africa and all that junk, I've been in the middle of some bad self-esteem moments. We can make it a girl thing, but nothing sucks like being hot, smelly, and dripping with sweat (Malians basically call me wet all the time). There is nothing cute about that. Even if I could, no make up would last. I've worn the same pair of cargo pants almost every day for two months just because I thought they would last. They have not and right now I have three big holes in between the legs. Attractive. And certainly making me feel good about myself. 

But I know that self-esteem issues is something everyone everywhere at every age faces. So lying in bed on morning I began to think. In times like this, I have to think of what is good. At least with me. I may not be able to change Mali or Kati in one wave of the magic wand, but me? Now that's something I can try to get control of. 

So here they are. In no particular order. The top five things I like about me. I think that everyone should have a list like this. Post it to your mirror, your jean drawer, your make up case. And remember, life, it just ain't all about jean size. ;)

1. I am wickedly funny. Most of the time I don't plan it. I cherish wit, and I like to think that every once and a while I nail it. 

2. I can pull of short hair. Who knew? People think I have guts just because I didn't want to take a blowdryer to Africa. 

3. I am a fantastic listener. Really. Any problem, concern, story, or joke you want to tell me, I want to hear. Active listening is something everyone should practice but a lot of people don't think about. 

4. I really like my shoulders. From years of carrying book bags and holding all my weight between my bellybutton and my knees, my shoulders look pretty without me having to try too hard.

5. I rock my glasses. It's odd that someone my age doesn't wear contacts (I can't get them in to be honest). But I love my glasses. They are green and match my eyes. They are Prada. My Mom says they are the only Prada item she will ever buy me. In an era where more people don't wear glasses, especially girls, I relish in mine. It's like a little mini-barrier between my thoughts and the outside world. If you really want to see what I'm thinking, you have to look a little harder...it's not just a dead giveaway. 

Ok, so in honor of my brother's favorite number, that's it. It's fun to focus on the good for a moment. I tried to mix the physical and the character favorites. I hope it doesn't come across as too self serving. 

And yes Ma, I know, I should attach this list to my own mirror and stop handed out advice that I won't take myself. Note taken. 

So, what are you're top five?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your top 5--especially the short hair one--you obviously pull it off well. You always have this really smart, chic look about you. And you are a GREAT listener :)

    My top 5 would be...

    1. My height. I like being 5'7--easy to reach high shelves yet short enough that it's not too awkward.

    2. My thick hair. I don't think I will ever go completely bald (unless I get some sickness)

    3. I am uber creative--come in handy for random art projects.

    4. I cam listen to a song and tell you the chords used in the piece. Not very useful but I rock it out.

    5. I am very curious...I have trespassed into a plethora of abandoned buildings and find myself searching for answers.


    Be proud of being you Mary--YOU ROCK! WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa is right,you should be proud of yourself Mary...You DO Rock!
    And in the spirit of "Life is more than a jean size..." here are my top five:

    1. My compassion. It often gets me in trouble but I believe my sense of empathy is a big part of who I am. And the alternative is just too awful to contemplate.

    2. My hispanic heritage...it provides me with lots of melanin which in turn allows me to have way less wrinkles than most 50 year olds...YAY for melanin!

    3. My love of music. While I can't pick out chords like a certain special somebody, I can find a rhythm and then dance to it like a crazy fiend...and my ability to dance "...like no one is watching..." well, that's just another perk!

    4. My strong legs that take me on long (slow but steady) runs, carry me on fun adventures and power me through the 3 hour long dance parties I like to participate in once in a while.

    5. My ability to see beauty in the ordinary...comes in handy as a photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are super. thanks so much for writing! (i think you're both pretty amazing yourselves ;)

    ReplyDelete