Thursday, May 24, 2012

mom, mom, mom...MOM!

me and ma, la jolla, 2011

ok, so i'm like real behind. like REAL. i've started and stopped over a dozen blog posts...I just can't seem to get the right words in the right order or something. so i thought i'd get the juices flowing with a very belated mother's day post (but really, moms need to always be appreciated, so it's all good). 

my darling savoy and i were talking one day about when you know you love someone. it actually started out as a conversation about grapefruit. we were skyping and she was cooking grapefruit (she says sprinkle a little brown sugar and it's like dessert...i say it needs chocolate and then we can talk about it qualifying as dessert!). anywho, she was saying how she hates cutting the grapefruit away from the skin, it's just the worst. she said that one day she was at her parents' house and her mom asked her if she wanted grapefruit, she replied with an eager yes only to find that not only had her mom gotten the grapefruit out, but she had peeled it too! savoy said that was love, doing the little things that just make the whole day better. i laughed because i knew exactly what she meant. in high school (and probably further back than that) whenever i had a big day at school my mom would sneak in my my room when i was in the shower and make my bed. i hate making my bed, but i did it because i was supposed to, and it just was such a little present when i would walk into my bedroom and VOILA! bed made! (side note: in my second year of college i told this story to my roommate and before one of our big tests she made my bed while i was in the shower! i thought that was totally adorable!)

it is probably pretty silly to say that those two things mean the most to either me or savoy. but i think it's the paying attention to the small things that really matters. moms know, well, everything, and it's what makes them great. they see everything in the details. 

savoy and i may always be peeling grapefruit and making beds, and every time we do, we'll sigh a little thinking to ourselves "if mom were here, she would know today was important and she would have swooped in here and done this for me."

so thanks ma, for doing it all, all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment