Saturday, April 20, 2013

morp

Let me set the stage for you. There I was at my senior prom. My feet were killing me and I’d only be there for twenty minutes. I had decided to go stag and the first slow song came on. Like a true introvert, I quickly left the dance floor and tried to find something to do that would make it look like I had some purpose. I was headed to the chocolate covered strawberries (obvious choice) when someone tapped me on the shoulder. It was a friend of a friend. He was there with his girlfriend who was my year (whereas he was a year older) and we shared a mutual friend. He asked me to dance. I hesitated, he had a date of course, and this was the first slow song. He could sense my hesitation and said that our mutual friend asked him to make sure I had someone to dance with for the first slow song. I couldn’t hide my surprise and we shuffled along for the three minutes of the song.

I think that’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done, made sure I didn’t stand alone if they could help it. I think about that moment when I start to loose faith in humanity—about how kindness comes about just when we don’t expect it.

We are less then 24 hours away from this year’s prom at school. Everyone’s in a tizzy prepping for the big dance. It’s fun to watch it all and be a part of it. I’m excited to chaperone (it will probably solidify my status of old and outdated) and embarrass my girls.

I’m more excited to hear what this night means to them, to hear what happens, the drama, the beginnings, the endings.

You never know the memories that stick with a person.

Prom 2013.
Seven years since that dance.
I wonder what will happen now...

pictures to come! i'm even going to wear the same dress i wore for my prom! 


image from Pretty in Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment