Wednesday, December 7, 2011

help...the circus is coming to town!

Alexander Calder Circus

For some reason when I was thinking of what to plan for my art class come January (this summer I only planned September through December to get me started) I thought of the circus. It seemed fun, this fairy tale world where anything could exist and people had magical powers. I encountered two problems: (1) what does this have to do with art? (2) do the kids even know about a circus? I've come to two conclusions (1) we are going to learn about color, shape, texture and art as spectacle through the circus. The kids are going to perform and decorate and get to further explore this wacky world of creativity. I thought the circus would be a good project to jump into after winter break and get the rest of the year going. (2) There is a version of the circus that come to Mali to perform in the Festival of the Desert, and even if the kid's don't really know, that's my job, to share experiences, ideas, and immerse them into ideas of art and the artistic experience. 

So, it's happening. My kids are going to create a circus. I hope. Cross you fingers. 

In order to create the world under the tent, I need your help! Art materials are hard to come by, and really hard to come by when your school is undergoing budget cuts, so I'm enlisting your help. In the time time of seasonal cheer, maybe you can find time while you're at Target getting those final stocking stuffers to wonder over to the craft aisle. PLEASE? 

Here are some of my ideas: glitter, sequins, feathers, felt, construction paper, crayola paints, brushes, masks, shiny paper, fabric, rick rack...anything you can think of! 
Also, if you know a great children's book about the circus and want to send it along (perhaps this one? hint hint) that would be fabulous as well!!

I would so appreciate it. I'll send you lots of photos!

Send anything to:
Mary Carter, PCV
BP 85
Bamako, Mali
West Africa

Don't forget to put "par avion" on the box!

Thanks so much. I couldn't do this without you all!
xoxoxoxo

Water for Elephants

No comments:

Post a Comment