Sunday, December 4, 2011

lingering emotions



fuzzy bko
at da guidos (L-R: pam, brooke, kat, matheson, jenna, maria, lyle, amy)
the birthday girl! jenna
pam and amy

Monday morning we dragged our crap out of our huts, gave one last look at Tubes, had one more great breakfast and boarded a bus to take us into Bamako. We started to spilt, a group headed west to Kita. The goodbyes started. A small section of us were staying in Bamako for the day and spent the day together. Basically I spent the weeks of IST eating, and my days in Bamako were no different. Burgers, chicken, more pizza, lots of ice cream, boxed cereal. It was amazing.

Monday night we headed out for drinks and dinner (pizza time #3) to celebrate Jenna’s birthday. Just another excuse to get dressed and wear a little too much eye make up. It was fun for another last hurrah. We even went to the super fancy Radisson Hotel for drinks, a place that resembles New York chic more than Malian anything. We ended the night a little early because there was a group heading back to Sikasso in the morning and they needed their beauty rest. But the food and the company were terrific.

I stumbled out of my bunk bed at the Bamako stage house early enough to say good-bye to those who were off to Sikasso Tuesday morning. I ate cereal out of the box and skimmed Rolling Stone magazine (the ukele is making a solid comeback). There were only a hand full of Goodfella’s left in Bamako. Kat and I decided to do a little shopping and so I got dressed and we headed out to the sugu. Now, the market in Bamako is crazy. It’s chaos to the extreme. People follow you, touch you, yell, haggle. It’s big, it smells, and yet it works. I did a lot of shopping. I bought great fabric, and scarf that I’m trying to work into this weekend’s wardrobe, and new “dead Toubab” shirts (really Goodwill rejects). Kat and I then went to get ice cream for lunch. Seriously. It was good too. We returned to the house just as it was getting really hot. Well timed if I do say so myself.

Luckily, The West Wing was playing at the house and I just made myself comfortable until I absolutely had to take a shower. I got cleaned up and decided to wear one of my new shirts (a simple purple T that probably originated at JCPenny). I ended up going out with some other PCVs (non-Goodfellas, Ma, aren’t you proud?!) to Chinese food. It was good, though I’m still not convinced that I have experienced the best Chinese Bamako has to offer. And my spicy chicken? Well it was REAL spicy.

I was able to hang out with other volunteers for the rest of the night. Watch movies, chat, and chill on the roof with the new overhang. Before long it was time for bed again.

Wednesday I knew I had to come back to site. It had to happen. I told everyone I would be at work bright and early Thursday morning. But I spent the day in Bamako anywho. Two other Goodfellas from Mopti were still in the area and Kat and I spent the day with them. We did the usual shop, eat, ice cream trip and hang out singing songs and watching TV. Seriously, all I did was eat. We even had dinner before we left for Kati just so I could squeeze one more Bamako restaurant into my visit. (I definitely need to get back into shape now that I’m back…no more eating like that!) The day flew by; the whole trip flew by.

Kat had talked me into taking a taxi to Kati so that all our crap would fit and we could get door to door service. I was easily persuaded and that is one of the reasons we stayed so late. After dinner we called a cab and were able to be back at my house before 8pm. Just enough time to clean, unpack, and get organized before bedtime.

So here I am. Back at school. First day of December. Kat is still here; we are going to decorate my house for Christmas tonight. A group of Goodfellas is coming to Kati for the holiday, so I hope I can get my internet working by then! It’s weird to be back. Weird to have just completed what I spent so much of my time looking forward to. Now it is time for work, time to push straight into service, into my time here and what I can get done. Now I will countdown to Christmas and my visitors, and then my Spring Break trip to Segou and the summer will bring all kinds of goodness. I will enjoy my time with my kids, plan some weekend trips to Bamako and try not to eat all my money when I’m there. I am going to try to keep in touch with my friends and take it one day at a time.

It’s hard to believe that I’m here, that time is passing and I’ve been in Mali six months. There is still so much to learn, so much to discover, so much to take in.

All I can do is keep showing up, keep working hard, keep on swimming.

Here we ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment