Thursday, August 18, 2011

on the streets

one corner of Kati...



so there is this one corner of Kati that i walk or run by almost everyday. it's a funny four way junction with goats and kids playing soccer. but it's the street graffiti that made me smile the very first time i came here. you see, "Rooney" is a Manchester United football star (wears the number 10 jersey and everything), and he is also my brother's favorite player. "MC" are my American initials. (plus, we all know that my malian name has part of my sister in it.) it seemed like the corner was a reminder of where i come from situated in a place so foreign and away from everything i know.
 so i like to come to this corner. to see the graffiti (which is a favorite art form of mine), to think of home, to think of the people around me in this place and abroad. to soak it all in. to see that we really aren't all that different. 

and well the kids, they just really wanted to have their picture taken. they posed and everything, so really, how could i resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment