Friday, October 25, 2013

22

LC, Mamma C, and me
She is the other half of me. The light to my dark. She’s the one who can finish the crossword, who is an ace at math, who asked to borrow my Shakespeare books so she would have something to do on the weekends. She has beauty and brains and a presence that makes her like an old Hollywood movie star. The fact that she knows all the words to most black and white movies and every 90s sitcom. I’m in awe of her really. Those short curls and totally hipster clothing-- worn in a way that’s not trendy or ironic, but in a way that speaks to her early nineties birth date and preference for grunge. She taught me how to apply eyeliner, curl my hair, and convinced me that I don’t look ridiculous in glitter eyeshadow. (Or else she lied…)

I don’t remember being the only child. I sometimes get that question, if in the years between my brother and sister came along, I remember being the only one around. And I honestly don’t. I don’t remember a time when they weren’t there. Throughout it all, they have been right there.

Laura is four years younger than I am, and yet she has lived a life. She has such an amazing story and still stands tall. She is a daughter, sister, friend, scholar, giver, and global citizen.

Yesterday she turned twenty-two.

Cheers to you my love. Happy twenty-second year. Three hundred and sixty-five days of crazy goodness. I hope you find joy and happiness in each day.

xx
mc
i LOVE this photo. she's gonna kill me

No comments:

Post a Comment