Sunday, March 3, 2013

for my girls

my girls have the notion that i have no talent because i don't play an instrument, or sing, or act, or all of the above. the truth is, i've been struggling with the idea of having talent or not having talent since i was a teen. i mean, how was i to compete for miss america without a talent! (shattered dreams my friends, shattered dreams.) 

but the truth of the matter is that i don't perform. that's my sister's department. and i don't play a sport. that would be my brother. what i am and who i am isn't divided into tangible talent that can be displayed through trophies and team jerseys (even though i wish it could and i find all that to be totally awesome). who i am is different. and it's taken me a long time to come to gripes with all that. 

i'm an academic. a good listener. a fabulous stylist and designer. i am a pop culture fiend and lover of all things modern. i feel indebted to the world and will spend the rest of my life repaying it all. when i love i do so with everything i am. 

i tell my girls that my job here is to make them good people. they have instructors to make them good artists. to be a good person is a life skill, and a whole other art form. 

i may not be able to perform in any pageant. but the skills i have will last forever.  

image

No comments:

Post a Comment