Tuesday, June 4, 2013

summer identity (aka the further ramblings of a prior military brat)

the coast line at La Jolla, CA 
Coney Island beach front, NY 
I was in a car with some friends last week in downtown Traverse City and we parked in front of this clothing store advertising every token beach brand you could think of—Roxy, Vans, Billabong, Volcom—everything was in the window. I said, without much thought, and a Vana White hand gesture, “Well, this is who I went to high school with..” One of the people in the car responded, “Not in Bloomington…” I scoffed, “Um. Nope.” “San Diego?” Wrong again. I finally said, now that the comment had become a conversation, “Virginia Beach, I went to high school in Virginia Beach.”

And it’s true. That was two years ago and, for me, three addresses ago. It’s hard to keep up with a prior military brat and her very moveable family. In the last three years I have had five addresses. No wonder people just email me. It’s like the real world version of Where’s Waldo.

It occurs to me, that due to various circumstances, I rarely work during the summer. Three years out of college, and here I sit on a rather warm day out on my parents’ sunroom (sun porch? Enclosed room with windows all around? Florida room?) on a Tuesday afternoon, in between jobs and life moments, yet again. I consider it very lucky. I love breathers. I love having time to reflect and spend time with family. It’s fun. I dig cycles and working for 10 months and then having time to travel and prepare for whatever comes next suits me. (In two years when I actually work in an office I’ll let you know what happens…)

That being said, my summer wardrobe harkens back to my inner beach child. Now, ask me even now and I will tell you I refuse to be titled a beach kid. In the nine years my permanent address was twenty minutes from the Atlantic Ocean I can count the number of days I spent at the beach on one hand. (It has to do with bathing suits.) But living at the beach is as much about culture as it is about sand and sun. My Mom grew up at the Jersey Shore, so I guess you could say sand and salt run in my veins.

I usually consider myself an urban dweller. I prefer the concrete jungle and human constructed parks. I am most myself roaming the streets of New York and if I never own a car or mow a lawn I will consider myself a successful adult.

Even still, something about the summer brings me back to the beach. And here I am, slightly loose light jeans, wide V-neck shirt, wayfarers, and sandals. Most of my closet consists of dark denim, tailored skirts, patters, and layers. Switching to summer brings out the plethora of blues and greens, Urban Outfitters dresses, vintage sandals, loose light jeans, and my new favorite fedora…all I’m missing are thrift store overalls (which if you find for me I’ll love you forever). There’s a juxtaposition somewhere in my closet, the urban girl channels her beach-like past.

And I get it. It’s summertime after all, everyone’s wardrobe shifts. You lose the plaid, and flannel, the cashmere and wool; you shed layers and shift to longer days and campfire nights.  

So maybe it’s just that now, the summertime is my season of nostalgia. It’s when I remember the kids who skipped class because the surf was too good, it’s when I crave the thrashing of ocean waves and I could seriously eat a s’more with every meal. I have less a desire to wear make up and want to smell of sunscreen and coconut instead of my go to Chanel perfume.

Maybe now I am just finally starting to get why people generally like summer as a season. It’s a time to be different, to act different, to enjoy the slower pace and to think different.

One day I’ll trade in my lazy summer days for lazy summer weekends. But for right now, I’m thankful I get one more summer to pretend to not the beach kid.

I guess it’s true, you can take the kid from the beach, but you can’t take the beach from the kid.
Rehoboth Beach, DE 
Lake Michigan
PS--I get the irony that none of these pictures are of Virginia Beach, like I said, I didn't get it until I left. Here are some of the beaches I've been to in the last three years. Not too shabby, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment