Wednesday, May 15, 2013

modern





Ernst HaasHelen Frankenthaler, New York,  1969

normal conversation:
Person: "So, you majored in art history?"
Me: "Yep. Modern Art."
Person: "Oh. So you think that's real art?"
Me: "Yeah. So much so I studied it. "
Person: "Ok. Then who's your favorite?"

Everyone's a critic I guess. 

But to answer the question, one of my favorites is Helen Frankenthaler pictured above in her studio. I love that she was a strong female artist. I love that she is part of the after math of Pollock. I loved that critics said she was too female and she seemed to not care. I love the way her motion physically bleeds into her work like it was the ocean of her soul. 

When I stumbled upon this series of images I just kept coming back to them day after day (the link sat as one of my tabs for four days). It's just something about them. And that last one. I feel like if I gazed at it long enough I'd be in that room opposite her still not knowing exactly what she was thinking. 

One of the things I love so much about art history is that I never just studied paint on canvas. I studied time periods, culture, and people. People are really the most interesting thing in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment